Cats and Chocolate

Chocolate – Theobromine, a substance present in chocolate and cocoa, is poisonous
to animals. It diminishes the blood flow to the brain and can cause heart
attacks and a variety of other life-threatening problems. An important rule to
remember is that the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains. If
you know your cat has eaten chocolate, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Fortunately, most cats are not so attached to chocolate that they will eat it
in large quantities. Many cats, however, will eat enough if curious, bored, or
encouraged to do so because their well-meaning owners, especially the younger
members of the family, believe that they are giving their pet a treat. It is
best to keep chocolate out of the reach of children and their pets.