7 Tips for Reducing Dog Obesity
Aston Veterinary Hospital
- Don’t use self-feeders, which can be described as candy machines for fat dogs.
- Pet your dog when he begs for food. Many dogs really want attention, so “flip the equation.”
- Feed the dog small meals often. Divide the daily food servings into small portions.
- If the dog is begging for food, take him for a walk as a distraction.
- If the dog begs, just give him a few kibbles in his bowl, like 10 or 15 rather than a handful.
- Dogs like a crunchy treat. So how about skipping anything fatty and switching to baby carrots, broccoli, celery, or asparagus?
- Make sure the bowl is filled with water. Fresh water may hit the spot.